OnlineSCR provide a certificate to indicate the check has been completed and you can then enter the dates of the check on your single central record (SCR).
OnlineSCR will then carry out the checks on your behalf. DBS update service requests received before 2.30pm will normally be processed within the same working day. Any orders received after this time will be processed the next working day. As soon as the checks have been completed, you will receive your results certificate via email. Alternatively, we offer the Fast Track scheme which will guarantee the result is provided within 2 hours of receipt of the order if made between 9am-3pm weekdays (excludes Bank Holidays).
How often can you receive the DBS update service results?
Using onlineSCR you can obtain the DBS update service results as often as you like, our system can check the results annually, monthly, weekly, or on a daily basis if you wish.
What happens if the certificate is taken off the Update Service?
If the certificate is taken off the DBS update for some reason, you must advise the applicant to re-apply for a new DBS Check. You will then be able to see the reason why it was removed.
How long does the DBS update service subscription last?
A subscription to the Update Service lasts for one year.
You can renew your subscription through the Update Service, either:
- when you first register, by choosing automatic renewal
- up to 30 days before your current subscription ends – but you can’t renew on the last day of your subscription
Sign in to your account to renew your subscription.
If you don’t renew it before it ends, you’ll need to apply for a new DBS check and register for the update service again.
What is a DBS Update Service Status check, and what do the results mean?
A Status check allows organisations to see if any relevant information has been identified about the individual since their Certificate was last issued. This reduces the need to ask individuals to apply for multiple Certificates if they move from one job to another in the same workforce or when a recheck is required.
Organisations can carry out a quick online Status check to see if an individual’s Certificate is still up to date – saving you both time and money.
The outcome of a valid Status check will be one of the following:
- This Certificate did not reveal any information and remains current as no further information has been identified since its issue.** This means that the individual’s Certificate contains no criminality or barring information and no new information is available.
- This Certificate remains current as no further information has been identified since its issue.** This means that the individual’s Certificate did contain criminality or barring information is available.
- This Certificate is no longer current. Please apply for a new DBS check to get the most up to date information.** This means that the individual’s Certificate should not be relied upon as new information is now available and you should request a new DBS check.
What are the benefits of the DBS Update Service?
You will be able to take your DBS certificate from one job to the next, unless:
- an employer asks you to get a new certificate
- you need a certificate for a different type of ‘workforce’ (for example, you have an ‘adult workforce’ certificate and need a ‘child workforce’ certificate)
- you need a different level certificate (for example, you have a Standard DBS certificate and need an Enhanced one)
The employer can tell you which DBS certificate they need you to have.
Once you’ve registered, you can use the Update Service to:
- add or remove a certificate
- give employers permission to check if anything’s changed on your certificate
- see who’s checked if anything’s changed on your certificate
- view your details
How can my organisation benefit from the DBS Update Service?
As an employer, you can check someone’s DBS certificate status online and get a result straight away.
You can check the results annually, monthly, weekly, or on a daily basis if you wish.
There’s no fee for you to check a certificate online, but you must be legally entitled to carry out a check and have the applicant’s permission.
How do applicants join the DBS Update Service?
Applicants can join the Update Service as soon you have your application form reference number. You can ask for the number when you apply for your DBS check.
Alternatively, you can join the Update Service with your certificate number when you receive your DBS certificate. If so, you must do so within 30 calendar days of the date of issue which is printed on the certificate.
You can log in to the Update Service if you have already joined.
When was the DBS Update Service launched?
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) launched the Update Service on 17th June 2013.
When should an Update Service check be carried out?
A new Update Service check should be carried out when a new member of staff is appointed. To carry this out, the new staff members will need be a member of the Update Service. The new staff member will know whether they are a member or not.
Update Service checks can also be carried out at any time. Single Central Record Ltd recommends schools to carry out these checks every three years. This is similar to the DBS recommendation to have a DBS renewed every three years.
However, we have the ability to carry out these checks weekly, which is also how often the Disclosure & Barring Service update their Update Service records.
When can a person apply to become part of the Update Service?
The DBS guidance confirms that individuals can join the DBS Update Service at the point of an application for a new DBS check is made.
Why use the DBS Update Service?
The Update Service allows for portability of a criminal record check certificate across employers. This enables future status checks to be carried out to confirm that no new information has been added to the certificate since its issue.
What is the DBS Update Service?
The DBS update service lets you keep your Enhanced DBS certificate up to date, online and allows employers to check a certificate online.
Individuals can join the DBS Update Service at the point an application for a new DBS check is made, enabling future status checks to be carried out to confirm that no new information has been added to the certificate since its issue. This allows for portability of a certificate across employers.
Before using the DBS Update Service schools or colleges must:
- obtain consent from the applicant to do so;
- confirm the certificate matches the individual’s identity; and
- examine the original certificate to ensure that it is for the appropriate workforce and level of check, e.g. enhanced certificate/enhanced including barred list information.
The school or college can then subsequently carry out an online check. This would identify whether there has been any change to the information recorded since the initial certificate was issued and advise whether the individual should apply for a new certificate. Individuals will be able to see a full list of those organisations that have carried out a status check on their account. Further information about the update service can be found at [GOV.UK](https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service).
How much does a DBS Update Service check cost?
The cost of a DBS Update Service check is just £2 plus VAT. We provide a certificate with the results as proof that you have carried out the DBS Update Service check.
How long does a DBS Update Service check take to complete?
DBS Update Service requests received before 2.30pm will normally be processed within the same working day. Any orders received after this time will be processed the next working day. As soon as the checks have been completed, you will receive your results certificate via email. Alternatively, we offer the Fast Track scheme which will guarantee the result is provided within 2 hours of receipt of the order if made between 9am-3pm weekdays (excludes Bank Holidays).